In this webinar Castleisland journalist/photographer John Reidy of The Maine Valley Post takes ‘A Look Back the Tracks’ at the history of the Gortatlea to Castleisland Railway.
The line opened in September of 1875 and finally closed in January 1977. In the webinar John shares his personal recollections of the train and the station. Furthermore, John shares an interview with local historian, photographer and photo collector, Timothy Murphy. Additionally, John reveals an interview with Mrs. Nancy Mahony who was the gate-keeper at Camp crossing from the early 1960s.
This film brings the railway times of Castleisland magnificently back to life.
P.S. The ‘Members Area’ is located in the drop-down menu, under the subheading ‘Our Society’.